- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add the water, onion, seasonings and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and green pepper; simmer 30 minutes. Add additional water if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Beef Stew
"Made this for the extended family. They all loved it! Even the toddlers! I mixed in noodles to make it possible for anyone who wanted seconds. Very good!"
"It was sooo good! A must try!"
"Simple and delicious."
"Delicious and so easy. You just leave it in the pot to cook on its own."
"This is a fantastic stew. I like mine a bit thicker so I just coat the stew meat in flour before browning. The herbs give it amazing flavor and you can use whatever veggies you prefer. I haven't even made it with fresh tomatoes yet since a can of diced works so well and fresh aren't very tasty yet. I'm working on tweaking it a bit for the freezer by using frozen cubed hash browns right before freezing."
"The original recipe had 10 ounces frozen peas - the ingredients here do not list peas - the picture even shows peas. 5 stars with peas!"
"This stew is wonderful! My fiance' can't stop eating it once he starts. The only change I make is to use a can of diced tomatoes, especially in the winter when fresh tomatoes aren't so tasty. You won't be disappointed if you choose to try this."
"I clipped this recipe years ago. The meat can stew all day, then you just throw in the next batch of vegs. I panicked today when I couldn't find my recipe card. I would make this every week if allowed. It's delicious!! Now with the kids gone, I get the leftovers all week."
"Very Good! We found this dish to be very spicy, I recommend using 1/2 teaspoon less of the black pepper."