Herbed Beef Stew with Puff Pastry Recipe
Guests will be so surprised by the taste of this special dish. Puff pastry makes this dish seem fancy so I serve it to guests all the time.Sara Martin, Brookfield, Wisconsin
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, thyme and marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 to 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil; drain. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, broth, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is almost tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in squash and tapioca; return to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a 10-oz. ramekin for a pattern, cut out six pastry circles 1 in. larger than the diameter of the ramekin.
- Fill six greased 10-oz. ramekins with beef mixture; top each with a pastry circle. Seal pastry to edges of ramekins; cut slits in each pastry. If desired, use the pastry scraps to cut out 30 strips. Twist strips; place five strips on each ramekin. Pinch edges to seal. Combine egg yolk and cream; brush over tops.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Beef Stew with Puff Pastry in Taste of Home Recipe Card Collection Winter 2010 Winter 2010, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Beef Stew with Puff Pastry(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >