- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add onions; cook until
- onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 3 cups
- water and all the seasonings. Cover and simmer until the meat is
- tender, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Combine
- cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into
- stew. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, parsley if desired
- and salt. Stir in the egg, oil and water. Drop into six mounds onto
- simmering stew. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the
- cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 each) equals 416 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 882 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.