This stew looks as terrific as it tastes! Flavored with a variety of herbs and chockfull of vegetables, this recipe lists salt as an option, making it ideal for family members and friends who must restrict sodium. —Marlene Severson, Everson, Washington
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add the water, onion, seasonings and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and green pepper; simmer 30 minutes. Add additional water if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Beef Stew in Taste of Home February/March 1993, p25
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review