Herbed Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add the water, onion, seasonings and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and green pepper; simmer 30 minutes. Add additional water if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Beef Stew
Sort By :
Delicious and so easy. You just leave it in the pot to cook on its own.
This is a fantastic stew. I like mine a bit thicker so I just coat the stew meat in flour before browning. The herbs give it amazing flavor and you can use whatever veggies you prefer. I haven't even made it with fresh tomatoes yet since a can of diced works so well and fresh aren't very tasty yet. I'm working on tweaking it a bit for the freezer by using frozen cubed hash browns right before freezing.
The original recipe had 10 ounces frozen peas - the ingredients here do not list peas - the picture even shows peas. 5 stars with peas!
This has been my mom's beef stew recipe for years. She just recently gave it to me and I made it for my husband. He loved it! It has amazing flavor, and we tweak the timing to make it work in a crockpot. Super easy and is the best flavored stew I've ever had!
This stew is wonderful! My fiance' can't stop eating it once he starts. The only change I make is to use a can of diced tomatoes, especially in the winter when fresh tomatoes aren't so tasty. You won't be disappointed if you choose to try this.