Herbed Artichoke Cheese Tortellini Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh or 2 to 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Drain tomatoes, reserving 2/3 cup juice; set aside. Drain artichokes, reserving 3/4 cup liquid; chop and set aside.
- 2. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, parsley, basil, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes in oil for 4-5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add the reserved tomatoes, tomato juice and artichoke liquid.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain tortellini; add to tomato mixture. Stir in the olives, salt and reserved artichokes; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 465 calories, 28 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,050 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.