Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Melt remaining butter. In a small bowl, combine the onion mixture, bread crumbs, cheese and melted butter. Spoon 2 tablespoons onto each tomato half.
- 2. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with basil and parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
2 halves equals 143 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes
"I love how I used everything from from the garden (herbs, tomatoes, and garlic) ! It is almost like a bruschetta with less carbs. I used homemade whole wheat light bread crumbs. Super easy and fast!!"
"Quick and tasty! I liked the fresh basil on top. Use real bread crumbs, not those sawdust ones from a canister and it will taste ten times better!"