Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes
This simple treatment perfectly complements the fresh taste of tomatoes. Serve as a side dish to any entree or as a fresh summer appetizer. Mary E. Relyea - Canastota, New York
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter
- until tender. Melt remaining butter. In a small bowl, combine the
- onion mixture, bread crumbs, cheese and melted butter. Spoon 2
- tablespoons onto each tomato half.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Sprinkle with basil and parsley. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 halves equals 143 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.