This simple treatment perfectly complements the fresh taste of tomatoes. Serve as a side dish to any entree or as a fresh summer appetizer. Mary E. Relyea - Canastota, New York
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Melt remaining butter. In a small bowl, combine the onion mixture, bread crumbs, cheese and melted butter. Spoon 2 tablespoons onto each tomato half.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with basil and parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p48
Reviews for Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2010
"Quick and tasty! I liked the fresh basil on top. Use real bread crumbs, not those sawdust ones from a canister and it will taste ten times better!"