- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- HERB FILLING:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, parsley, chives, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal.
- Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaf seam side down on prepared pan. With a sharp knife, make several shallow diagonal slashes across top of loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Herb Swirl Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p53
Reviews for Herb Swirl Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review