Herb-Stuffed Red Peppers Recipe
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
- 1. Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. Place peppers and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, parsley, salt, cayenne and allspice.
- 3. In a small saucepan, bring tomato sauce and broth to a boil. Stir in the vinegar, basil and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; stir about 1/2 cup sauce into rice mixture. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 482 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1798mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein .
Reviews for Herb-Stuffed Red Peppers
"Tasty enough, quick, and easy weeknight meal. I think I would add some spinach or broccoli next time, felt it needed something green. After topping with cheese, I did put mine in a preheated oven for about 8-10 min."
"Excellent recipe. Loved the flavors in this!"
"These were soooo good! Even my picky eater loved it! This is now a regular dish at my home! Thank you so much!!!"
"I have had stuffed green bell peppers and was never too fond of the. I like red peppers better so I thought I'd try this recipe. Dang these are good! I doubled the sauce to serve on the side. I used half Parmesan and half Romano cheese. The sauce is wonderful! They are even better the next day."
"I used buckwheat groats instead of the brown rice and they were still yummy!"
"best recipe I have found for stuffed peppers.Hard to find recipes for 2 people"
"Absolutely delicious. I made exactly as stated. Next time I will double the sauce ingredients, not enough for dipping."
"It's so nice to find a stuffed pepper recipe that only feeds two. I only added one teaspoon of balsamic vinegar since I think it can be a little overpowering, but we liked the extra flavor it gave the sauce."
"I liked the stuffing because it is a little different from other pepper stuffing I've tried. It is reminiscent of meatloaf with a tomato sauce."
"I also used ground turkey. I also did not have any cayenne pepper. They were great!!"
"Delicious, made them for supper tonight and my husband is still commenting about them"
"This was a FABULOUS recipe!!! Even after I substituted ground turkey for the beef! My husband loves stuffed green peppers but I don't so he rarely gets them...selfish I know! Anyway...I had to make these the moment I saw this recipe and my hubby's comment..."You out-did yourself"!! I have to agree...these are THE BEST tasting stuffed peppers I've EVER had (just the right spices) but then again, I do LOVE red peppers."
"Great receipe! Just a hint, cut pepper the other way and you will find a pepper more willing to stuff, and be still in a dish....Happy cooking!"
"These sound absolutely delicious! I'm sure the allspice and balsamic vinegar add just the right touch. I have many peppers in my garden getting ready to turn red. I also grow onions, basil and parsley. Can't wait to try it.Taximommy58"
"I Love stuffed peppers can't wato make these totoly differnt then what I make ....Thanks for the recipes I love receiving them every week ..."