Herb-Stuffed Red Peppers Recipe
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided
- 1. Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds. Place peppers and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, parsley, salt, cayenne and allspice.
- 3. In a small saucepan, bring tomato sauce and broth to a boil. Stir in the vinegar, basil and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; stir about 1/2 cup sauce into rice mixture. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 482 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 1,798 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.