"I serve this pork roast often when I'm entertaining company," says Michele Montgomery, Lethbridge, Alberta. "It's especially good with garden-fresh herbs, but dried work nicely as well. It makes a stunning presentation."
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh sage or 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2-3/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Starting about a third in from one side, make a lengthwise slit down the roast to within 1/2 in. of the bottom. Turn roast over and make another lengthwise slit, starting about a third in from the opposite side. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness; remove plastic wrap.
- Combine mustard and garlic; rub two-thirds of the mixture over roast. Combine the chives, sage, thyme, rosemary, 3/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle two-thirds of the herb mixture over roast. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie several times with kitchen string. Rub oil over roast; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat using a drip pan. Place roast over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat or bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Brush remaining mustard mixture over roast; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture. Grill or bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Herb-stuffed Pork Loin in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p16
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Herb-Stuffed Pork Loin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review