Herb-Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 18 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Rub the surface of the turkey and sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper. Place 12 sprigs of thyme in cavity.
- In a large heavy roasting pan, place onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns and remaining thyme sprigs. Place the turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Drizzle butter over turkey and sprinkle with minced herbs.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours. Remove foil; bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting every 20 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Discard vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns; if desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Herb-Roasted Turkey
Sort By :
best turkey i have ever had
I'd make this recipe a several years back and while it was good, I still kept trying different recipes. A few years ago, I was told to try cooking your turkey in a bag. It's so easy-no basting-and your turkey is juicy. So this year I used this recipe but put everything in a turkey bag and everyone loved it! I'll be using this recipe from now on.