Herb Roasted Root Vegetables
Here's a simple to fix side that is perfect for a festive dinner. It looks beautiful with any entree. Roasting brings out the vegetables' natural sweetness.—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large shallots, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place first seven ingredients in a Dutch
- oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-8
- minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Combine oil, pepper and salt;
- drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat. Divide mixture between two
- greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; arrange herb sprigs over
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring
- occasionally. Yield: 10 servings.