Herb-Roasted Game Hens Recipe
These golden Cornish hens, shown at right, are seasoned with basil, sage and thyme for plenty of flavor. They're simple to prepare yet make any occasion seem special. For a fast finish, serve corn bread stuffing and chunky cinnamon applesauce...or roasted cubed potatoes with pepper and carrots plus instant chocolate pudding for dessert.
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spoon over hens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Herb-Roasted Game Hens in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p46
Reviews for Herb-Roasted Game Hens(4)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2012
This actually cooked for about 2 hours, not 50 minutes. Used 2 game hens totally 2.5 pounds. Very good!
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2009
I actually have the issue this came from, and it's 20 OUNCES each.
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2008
I agree -- a TWENTY POUND GAME HEN? Really? Does the recipe work for say a TWO POUND GAME HEN? Seriously -- sounds delicious and I'm about to try it!
Reviewed Jul. 25, 2008
a 20 pound game hen?