“Here’s a recipe that makes a delicious side for busy weeknight meals or a fun last-minute gift idea,” says Lexington, South Carolina’s Sam Prichard. “I layer the dry ingredients in a pint mason jar, cover the seal with a cute fabric square, then tuck instructions under the bow!”
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 16-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 132 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.