- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Herb Quick Bread
"I'm so glad I found this recipe! It's delicious and so great for nights when I want fresh bread with a meal but don't have time to wait for yeast bread to rise. I used a blend of herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, and marjoram) and omitted nutmeg."
"Very good quick (savory) bread recipe. Great with soup. Plan to make again in the near future."
"I came across this recipe while searching for another recipe that I failed to save after the first time I made it. This IS now saved!!To mrsvalgal and others - the herbs in this bread can be added to, subtracted from, multiplied and divided!! Use your imagination!!! Just don't mess with the sugar, salt or baking powder!!Happy baking everyone!!Now, my search continues---"
"I have made this recipe over and over again whenever I have soup cooking in the crockpot. It's a perfect accompaniment to a fall or winter soup like minestrone or beef barley. It's also just what it says: quick!"
"I have made this bread 3 times in the last week. It is such a simple versatile bread - and very quick and easy.We do not care for caraway seeds, so the first time I substituted Italian seasoning and basil. Delicious!! The second time I made it substituting about 1 TB cinnamn for the seeds and thyme. It seemed lacking though, so the third time I did the 1 TB cinnamon and either 1/4 or 1/2 tsp almond extract. Perfect! Love that combo - love this bread recipe!"