Herb Potato Rolls Recipe
My grandma always made these rolls. She herself enjoyed them as a child in Germany. I practiced for years before I finally perfected the recipe! —Lonna Smith, Woodruff, Wisconsin
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, yeast, sugar, chives, salt and parsley. In a small saucepan, heat milk and sour cream to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll equals 137 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC