Tina Gyles of Barnesville, Ohio stirs together a dried herb mix to add savory flavor to whole wheat muffins. But the blend also can be used to season chicken, pork, fried potatoes or vegetable side dishes. "Use your imagination," she suggests.
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. store in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 2 batches (about 1/4 cup total).
- To prepare muffins: In a bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and 2 tablespoons herb mix. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, honey, oil and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients; just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Herb Muffin Mix in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p46
Reviews for Herb Muffin Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review