Herb Dumplings with Pork Chops Recipe
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the soup, mushrooms, water and sage; set aside. In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; top with onion. Pour soup mixture over top. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- 2. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, celery seed and sage. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto simmering soup mixture; sprinkle with parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Herb Dumplings with Pork Chops
"I often alter recipes I get online, but this one is great just the way it is! I also grew up on a farm and it reminds me childhood too."
"This was awesome!! My Fiancee Sam LOVED THIS!! I even caught him getting thirds in the middle of the night LoL I used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup because when I was preparing it, I didn't think it would be enough.. but still only 1/2 cup of water and I used 1 shallot and 1/2 of medium onion to give it a diverse onion flavor. For the dumplings, I didn't have any celery seed, so I added 1 tbsp of rosemary as rosemary goes hand in hand with pork. I also sprinkled some on the pork as it browned. The aroma was fantastic. This dish was fantabulous!! Especially when accompanied with lumpy (we love lumpy, creamy..Eww) garlic mashed potatoes and steamed fresh green beans!! YUM!!!"
"This is EXCELLENT......and I would definitely make it again! Made it for my sweetie for Valentine's Day, and he loved it, too.Only thing I would do differently is use a much bigger pot instead of a large skillet, as the pork steaks that I used (pork butt steaks) were huge, and I could only fit 4 into a large skillet, and it was difficult. Delicious, and definitely a keeper, we will be making them often!"
"This meal is sooo good! We especially love this when it starts to get chilly outside. Sometimes I will use whole wheat flour for the dumplings, and it's exceptional."
"This one is a keeper! I used 4 boneless pork chops, and it worked fine. I also added quite a bit of ground black pepper to suit our tastes."
"This is so good! Another great recipe!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer