“These are the ultimate onion rings! Lightly battered and seasoned with herbs and Dijon mustard, these cook up to be crisp and golden brown.” Denise Patterson - Bainbridge, Ohio
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet onions
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. Cut onions into 1/4-in. slices and separate into rings. Dip in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Herb-Crusted Sweet Onion Rings in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p43
Reviews for Herb-Crusted Sweet Onion Rings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2012
"These were delicious!! I think I would add a bit more spices next time.Tip: If your onions are wet, wipe them with paper towel before dipping them in the batter or else the batter will come off the onion a bit while cooking in the oil."
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2012
"Great onion ring"