Herb-Crusted Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2-1/3 cups water, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place roast with fat side up in ungreased roasting pan. Combine the next five ingredients; pour over roast. Combine parsley, basil, salt, pepper, tarragon and thyme; rub over roast.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove to a warm serving platter. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- 3. Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. In a large saucepan, combine flour, bouillon and 1 cup water until smooth. Gradually stir in the drippings, reserved fat and remaining water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 254 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 474 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 34 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.