Herb-Crusted Bread Recipe
Minced onion and garlic plus a sprinkling of dill help perk up the flavor in this wholesome rustic-looking loaf. "The dough mixes up easily in a bread machine," comments Becky Steinberger of Denmark, Wisconsin. "I like to serve this crusty bread alongside soup, pasta and saucy tomato dishes."
- 5 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, dill weed and poppy seeds
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon each coarse salt, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, dill weed and poppy seeds
- In a blender, process oats until finely ground. In bread machine pan, place the oats, water, sugar, oil, salt, flours, yeast and seasonings in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf, about 15 in. long. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Carefully brush dough with egg, sprinkle with salt, onion, garlic, dill and poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Herb-Crusted Bread in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p48
Reviews for Herb-Crusted Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 24, 2011
The flavor is amazing! I didn't have a bread machine. I don't think my bread raised properly.
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Bread Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >