Herb Cheese Bread Recipe
A flavorful combination of herbs makes this cheese-topped loaf a welcome addition to most any menu. In fact, we couldn't believe how light the buttery slices were when compared to frozen breads found in the grocery store. —Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in margarine for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the seasonings. Brush over cut sides of French bread; sprinkle with cheese.
- 2. Wrap each piece of bread loosely in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cut each piece into six slices. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 147 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC