Herb Cheese Bread
A flavorful combination of herbs makes this cheese-topped loaf a welcome addition to most any menu. In fact, we couldn't believe how light the buttery slices were when compared to frozen breads found in the grocery store.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in margarine for
- 1-2 minutes. Stir in the seasonings. Brush over cut sides of French
- bread; sprinkle with cheese.
- Wrap each piece of bread loosely in a large piece of heavy-duty foil;
- seal edges of foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until
- heated through and cheese is melted. Cut each piece into six slices.
- Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Blue Bonnet light stick margarine.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 147 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium,