Herb Casserole Bread Recipe
I'm a fairly experienced baker and have tried many recipes through the years. My family and I put this tried-and-true casserole bread at the top of our list. —Kelly Kirby, Westville, Nova Scotia
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, oregano, basil, thyme and garlic powder. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and 1/4 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 182 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Herb Casserole Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC