Herb Buttermilk Dinner Rolls Recipe
"When I couldn't find a recipe for dinner rolls, I created my own using a variety of herbs for extra flavor," relates Sue Friesen of Thorold, Ontario.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt, basil, marjoram, thyme, baking soda, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Divide each portion into six pieces; shape each piece into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with remaining butter. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 78 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC