- Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag;
- add turkey. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as
- much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a
- roasting pan. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard brine; rinse turkey and pat dry. Tie drumsticks
- together. Place the remaining ingredients in a food processor; cover
- and process until smooth. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from
- turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under skin. Secure
- skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub remaining butter
- mixture over skin.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake at
- 450° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 3-1/4 to
- 3-3/4 hours longer or until meat thermometer reads 180°, basting
- occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey
- browns too quickly.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter; Cover and let stand for 20
- minutes before carving. Yield: 14 servings.
Editor’s Note: It is best not to use a prebasted turkey for this recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 10 ounces cooked turkey equals 834 calories, 58 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 314 mg cholesterol, 658 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 73 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer