- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, salt, herbs, onion, oil and water. Beat with an electric mixer on low until moistened, then beat for 3 minutes at medium. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into two balls and place in two greased 2-qt. casseroles. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from casseroles to cool on wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (40 slices).
Reviews for Herb Bread Loaves
Sort By :
"Excellent bread. Took it to our friends' home where we had dinner and they wanted the recipe. I only have 2 1/2 qt. casseroles but that worked fine."
"This is an excellent bread!!! Has a nice texture and smells wonderful while baking. Gave a loaf to a friend of mine who is a physicians assistant and she still talks about it."