Olive oil helps showcase the flavor of fresh herbs in this fragrant corn bread. It is always a huge hit with my family and friends!—Mary Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place an 8-in. cast-iron skillet in oven; heat skillet 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons oil until blended. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Add remaining oil to skillet; tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. Add batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Herb & Olive Oil Corn Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p201