When you want to impress guests, you can’t beat these lovely Cornish game hens. Apricots and apricot preserves give the tender meat and moist wild rice stuffing a fruity flavor that everyone in our family loves. —Jodi Grable, Springfield, Missouri
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, pecans and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the rice, apricots, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup rice mixture into each hen; tie legs together. Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over hens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. In a small saucepan, warm preserves and vinegar; spoon over hens. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hens with Apricot Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home December/January 2006, p35
Reviews for Hens with Apricot Rice Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review