Hens with Apricot Rice Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, pecans and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the rice, apricots, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup rice mixture into each hen; tie legs together. Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over hens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. In a small saucepan, warm preserves and vinegar; spoon over hens. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Hens with Apricot Rice Stuffing
Sort By :
Delicious!! These were the best Cornish hens that I have ever made or eaten. Only one change was to leave out the mushrooms. I served them with the Bacon Squash Sauté on the same page and crescent rolls.
This rice stuffing is one of our all time favorites. We always make it to accompany our roast duck and often have it with whole roasted chicken. The mushrooms, apricots, pecans, onion and seasonings are an awesome combination.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffing Recipes >