Heirloom Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 medium heirloom tomatoes, quartered (about 8 pounds)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 5-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, carrot, corn, basil and salt.
- 2. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are softened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Ladle into bowls; drizzle each with 3/4 teaspoon cream. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
1 cup: 73 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Heirloom Tomato Soup
"Fresh and light tasting"