Heirloom Tomato Soup
Throughout the late summer months I make this soup about once a week. Even my son, who normally does not like tomatoes, loves this soup. —Kimberly Danek Pinkson, San Anselmo, California
20 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 medium heirloom tomatoes, quartered (about 8 pounds)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 5-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute longer. Add the tomatoes, carrot, corn, basil and salt.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all
- to pan and heat through. Ladle into bowls; drizzle each with 3/4
- teaspoon cream. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 73 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,