Heirloom Fruitcake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3 cups pecan halves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and honey. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, allspice and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Stir in raisins, dates, apricots and pecans.
- 2. Pack into two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Place pans on middle rack of oven; place a shallow pan of hot water on lowest rack.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan. Loosen edges with a knife and remove from pan. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 153 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Heirloom Fruitcake
"I love fruitcake but my former;ly favorite recipe makes more than I can eat in a year now that my family is grownup and gone. This fruitcake is going to be my go to recipe from now on. It is delicious, moist and packed with fruit and nuts. It is not as sweet as other recipies - it relies more on the fruit for sweetness and is just right. A real keeper."
"An excellent cake.I made it with bean flour for a gluten free version and added cashews and craisins.I prefer dried fruits to candied fruits."