Heavenly Surprise Cupcakes Recipe
The recipe for these filled and frosted cupcakes was handed down by my mother-in-law, who taught this fledgling cook what to do in the kitchen. She's no longer with us, but baking these treats reminds me of our good times together. —Judie Heiderscheit, Holy Cross, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the milk, water and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or resealable plastic bag; insert a small star tip. Fill bag with frosting. Push tip 1 in. into center of cupcake and fill with frosting just until top of cake begins to crack. Pipe frosting over the tops. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 414 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC