Packed with nutrition, these rice-and-bean patties from Wendy McGowan in Fontana, California make a fun, filling, hand-held entree. Fresh parsley and carrots add flecks of color, and sunflower kernels a touch of crunchiness.
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- 6 slices onion
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a food processor, combine the egg, egg white and garbanzo beans; cover and process until smooth. Stir into rice mixture. Shape into six patties.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Heavenly Earth Burgers in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p39
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Heavenly Earth Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2011
"Bland and they didn't hold together well."