Packed with nutrition, these rice-and-bean patties from Wendy McGowan in Fontana, California make a fun, filling, hand-held entree. Fresh parsley and carrots add flecks of color, and sunflower kernels a touch of crunchiness.
Featured In: Veggie Burger Recipes
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- 6 slices onion
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a food processor, combine the egg, egg white and garbanzo beans; cover and process until smooth. Stir into rice mixture. Shape into six patties.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Heavenly Earth Burgers in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p39
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Heavenly Earth Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2011
"Bland and they didn't hold together well."