Heavenly Dinner Rolls Recipe
Several years ago, I entered this recipe in a contest sponsored by a local newspaper and was awarded a first prize! Your family and friends will give these fluffy rolls high honors, too!—Joan Priefert, Overland Park, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:60 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, shortening and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and enough remaining flour to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter or drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush tops with butter if desired. Dough may be refrigerated up to 3 days. Punch down each day. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 106 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC