- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips or M&M's minis
- 1 pound white candy coating, finely chopped
- 24 miniature pretzels
- Edible glitter
- Green, blue, red, yellow and black gel food coloring
- 3/4 cup vanilla frosting
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Pearl candy dragees
- 12 white Life Savers
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1/3 cup of dough for angel heads.
- Divide remaining dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 6-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. For angel heads, shape teaspoonfuls of reserved dough into 12 balls; flatten into circles. Lightly press on top of pointed end of each wedge. Add chips for eyes.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating at 50% power 2-3 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Coat pretzels with candy coating; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with edible glitter. Freeze 15 minutes or until firm.
- Place angels on waxed paper. Tint some of the candy coating green and some blue. Frost angels' dresses with tinted candy coating; sprinkle with edible glitter.
- In a small bowl, beat vanilla frosting and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Place 2 tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; tint red and set aside. If desired, decorate dresses with white frosting and pearl dragees. Using tinted candy coating, attach pretzel wings. Freeze for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Tint remaining frosting yellow for hair. Chill for 15 minutes or until firm. Using grass pastry tip #233 and yellow frosting, pipe hair onto heads. For halos, dip Life Savers in water; sprinkle with edible glitter. Let stand for 5 minutes or until glitter is set; press halos gently onto hair.
- Using round pastry tip #1 and reserved red frosting, pipe mouths. With black food coloring and a clean paintbrush, add eyelashes. Let stand until completely dry. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Heavenly Cookie Angels in Taste of Home Christmas Cookies & Candies 2007, p5
Reviews for Heavenly Cookie Angels(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review