Heavenly Chocolate Mousse
"Heaven on a spoon" is how one friend describes this chocolaty dessert. My husband, Allen rates it best of all the special treats I've made. The filling can also be used for a pie.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a microwave, microwave the chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter
- until the chocolate and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Cool
- for 10 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining
- water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°
- or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from
- the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes. Fold
- in whipped cream. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 4 hours
- or overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 205 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.