Heavenly Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Frosting shown in photo is Winter White Filling or Frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 450 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Heavenly Chocolate Cake
"I made this cake as one of our Thanksgiving desserts. I was supposed to take half of the cake to a family gathering but my parents and sister would not let me! They wanted it all to themselves. My sister has already asked me to make this cake for her birthday in January. I made it with the raspberry filling minus the raspberry liqueur and it was still great. If you don't like cream cheese frosting, you can make a simple heavy whipping cream frosting and it will taste just as yummy."
"this was alot of fun to make and was very good - dont usually have good luck with homemade cakes--usually dry--but this was good"
"I am not a huges fan of chocolate cake, but I made this recipe and am absolutely in LOVE! I made the frosting with a little less cream cheese (because that is all I had 16 oz for just frosting) and with vanilla instead of lemon. I made a strawberry filling that was totally amazing! Thank you so much for this recipe! I will be making it again!"
"Made this cake over the weekend for someone's birthday. The cake was okay, but the icing recipe that was featured in the magazine with this cake was to cheesy. I would definately suggest that if you are going to make this cake you use a different icing than the one featured with it in the magazine article."