Heavenly Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
These luscious baked sweet potatoes taste a little bit like a pumpkin pie. They also feature fruits and nuts for added nutrition. If you like, toss some mini marshmallows on top to make it extra indulgent. —Cynthia Peterson, Roswell, New Mexico
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, apple cider, maple syrup, butter and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and cloves; set aside and keep warm.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Layer half the potatoes, apples and pineapple in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt. Pour reduced liquid over top. Cover and bake 40 minutes or just until tender.
- 3. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, 13-18 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving equals 231 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC