Heavenly Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
These luscious baked sweet potatoes taste a little bit like a pumpkin pie. They also feature fruits and nuts for added nutrition. If you like, toss some mini marshmallows on top to make it extra indulgent. —Cynthia Peterson, Roswell, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, apple cider, maple syrup, butter and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and cloves; set aside and keep warm.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Layer half the potatoes, apples and pineapple in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt. Pour reduced liquid over top. Cover and bake 40 minutes or just until tender.
- 3. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, 13-18 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving equals 231 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC