- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Heavenly Angel Food Cake
"TiffanyJones you're sifting confectioners sugar with the flour but there is an additional cup of granulated sugar as listed in the recipe ingredients.Hope that clarifies for you.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"This recipe does not make sense as written, please update with corrections.The first instruction tells you to "Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside"The next instruction says to "Gradually add sugar....Gradually fold in flour mixture"How does one gradually add sugar after you've mixed all your sugar in with the flour already?"
"Very easy cake to make, I've made many an angel food cake and this is by far the best recipe. Just remember this recipe (as with all angel food cakes) should be made in METAL OR GLASS BOWLS ONLY, otherwise the cake will come out very dense and it will not be the light fluffy confection of your dreams.http://www.finecooking.com/articles/angel-food-cake.aspx?pg=1also for coffee flavor add 2 tbsp of instant coffee.and for chocolate add 1/3 cup cocoa.I personally like it with a 1/4 tsp of lemon extract, it really balances out the sweetness.have funps it also makes some bomb a** cupcakes"
"I made this last night and it came out amazing! I even forgot to add the salt and no one could tell. I topped it with some homemade caramel and strawberries. Everyone loved it. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for a light dessert."