- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the zucchini; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg; mix well. Spread over zucchini. Layer with half of the meat mixture, remaining zucchini and remaining flour. Top with mozzarella cheese and the remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Zucchini Lasagna
Sort By :
"We found it to be a healthy alternative that used up our excess zucchini."
"I made this recipe, Not found here but from one I'd found in another magazine some time ago. Same ingredents and instructions. I found it to be rather sloppy or runny. I think due to the moisture in zucchini-next time I think I'd allow the zucchini to drain in a collender, then brush it with some olive oil and salt and pepper-then grill it to dry it out. There was just too much liquid, therefore did not hold shape when cut, it just was too runny. It did taste good though."