- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 package (6-3/4 ounces) quick-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, celery and onions over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in water, broth, soup, rice mix and contents of the seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until heated through. Top servings with bacon. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Wild Rice Soup
"This IS a good recipe, I had some leftovers and made it into this soup, I added onion soup mix also for flavor, it turned out great! Thank you for this!"
"I didn't have quick-cooking wild rice, so I made the rice ahead of time and separately, and then cut the amount of water to compensate. It was tasty and creamy. We enjoyed it, and I would make it again."
"Great soup. I used a Basmati wild rice packet from Trader Joe's. Next time I will try sausage ot ground turkey/chicken as the protein. We added in some salt and pepper, but just to our liking. This soup didn't last two days in our house. Thanks for sharing this with us."
"My family really enjoyed the soup! I confess that I used some wild rice pilaf that I had already cooked and in the freezer. I did add some sliced carrot, and a bit of powdered coffee creamer , 2 Tbl cornstarch in 1 /2 cup water to thicken the broth- just because we like a creamy texture-but we loved it."
"I didn't really like this soup that much. It came out too mushy and took up all the juice and just basically tasted like glorified wild rice. Perhaps it was because I didn't get the quick cooking rice. I had to cook mine 20 min. To get the rice done."