Our family likes to fish, so I'm always looking for different ways to prepare our catch. This one has turned out to be a family favorite.
- 1 walleye fillets (about 12 ounces), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Sprinkle fillet with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Coat with cornmeal and set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook fillet in reserved drippings for about 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, butter cut sides of buns. Place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Toast under broiler for about 1 minute or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; spread on buns. Top with lettuce, tomato slices and fish. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Walleye Sandwiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p57
Reviews for Hearty Walleye Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review