Hearty Venison Stew Recipe
- 1 pound venison, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown venison in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Stir in the broth, thyme, marjoram, parsley, garlic and salt. Place peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add the potatoes, onion, carrots and celery; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat and vegetables tender. Discard herb bag. In a small bowl, combine flour, water and browning sauce until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 306 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Venison Stew
"If you don't hunt or know anyone who does, how do you find venison meat?Way back in WWII, my mother was given some venison, which she prepared like a sauerbraten. I have not had venison since. Would love totaste it again, at least once more time. I have such memories of those days."