Hearty Veggie Lentil Soup Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender.
- 2. Add the tomato paste, corn and peas; stir until blended. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until corn and peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 228 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 566mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 15g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat.
Reviews for Hearty Veggie Lentil Soup
"EXCELLENT soup! The only things I added was some smoked sausage, when I added the corn and peas, and also about 1/4 c. spaghetti sauce, just to use it up!Will b made here again!"
"After reading all of the positive reviews I am not sure what went wrong, even though I followed the recipe as printed. It is definitely a very healthy soup which is why I gave it two stars but my batch was totally lacking in flavor. I did add some salt to see whether that would enhance the taste and it didn't seem to do much good. Not sure what I would change if I were to make it again."
"Simple and tasty. I made it with boxed chopped tomatoes to avoid having to dig the tomato paste out of the can, and loved it!"
"This is a keeper ! A little variation (no corn or peas and dices tomatoes insteaf of paste) My folks sya it's the "bomb" A favorite of mine."
"This is one of our favorite vegetarian dishes. I do add about 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Also I add more water if it is gets to thick."