Chock-full of veggies, this delicious lentil soup is really simple to fix. In St. Ignatius, Montana, Joy Maynard often doubles the recipe and freezes half for later.
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, corn and peas; stir until blended. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until corn and peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Lentil Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p33
Reviews for Hearty Veggie Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review