- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, corn and peas; stir until blended. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until corn and peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Veggie Lentil Soup
Sort By :
This was the first time I made lentil soup and it was delicious! I am adding the recipe to my soup collection.
Simple and tasty. I made it with boxed chopped tomatoes to avoid having to dig the tomato paste out of the can, and loved it!
This is a keeper ! A little variation (no corn or peas and dices tomatoes insteaf of paste) My folks sya it's the "bomb" A favorite of mine.
This is one of our favorite vegetarian dishes. I do add about 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Also I add more water if it is gets to thick.
This is a very good & healthy soup and easy to prepare! Sometimes I make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for another quick meal for a busy day.