Hearty Veggie Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained and quartered
- 2 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1. Cook vegetables according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion in 1/4 cup butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, sage, pepper and salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the chicken, potatoes and mixed vegetables; heat through.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with stuffing cubes. Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 455 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1060mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein
Reviews for Hearty Veggie Chicken Casserole
"Full of flavor!"
"Okay, here's the scoop...My husband and I loved the flavor of this dish. If it were only the two of us eating, I would rate it a 5. However, we have three children to consider. There are alot of vegetables hidden in the dish. I could not even convince my kids to eat it, which is a shame because it is tasty. I will make the dish again (for mature guests) except I think I will increase the sauce a bit more. I thought it should be just a little creamier than it was. The overall taste of this dish is "chicken Pot Pie" comfort food."