Hearty Veggie Chicken Casserole Recipe
I found this recipe in a cookbook we received as a wedding gift and altered it to fit my family’s tastes. Now, I always cook enough extra chicken so we can have this casserole the next day. My husband and daughters rush to the table when they know it’s on the menu. –Janet Applin, Gladstone, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained and quartered
- 2 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1. Cook vegetables according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onion in 1/4 cup butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, sage, pepper and salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the chicken, potatoes and mixed vegetables; heat through.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with stuffing cubes. Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 455 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1,060 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC