- 1-3/4 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and finely chopped
- 9 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and sun-dried tomatoes in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add meat crumbles; heat through.
- Stir in the chili beans, tomatoes, water, broth, chili powder, brown sugar, celery salt and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Ladle chili into bowls. Top each with avocado and sour cream. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetarian Chili
Sort By :
Fantastic! First time I made chili ever and loved it!
I tried this recipe, well, I'm usually a good judge about how things will taste by the ingredients. Not this time. The sundried tomato flavor was too strong for the chili (and I used less) and the texture of the tofu crumbles did not feel like real meat. If I make a mushroom/vegetarian chili again I will be looking for a different recipe
I don't love chili and I've been searching for a recipe that I would like because my husband does like chili. I really think I love this one and he likes it a lot as well. We did add 2 extra cans of beans and some extra mushrooms though.
Excellent chili. The best I have had!