Hearty Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and finely chopped
- 9 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and sun-dried tomatoes in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add meat crumbles; heat through.
- 2. Stir in the chili beans, tomatoes, water, broth, chili powder, brown sugar, celery salt and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Ladle chili into bowls. Top each with avocado and sour cream. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 serving equals 275 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 768 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.