- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
"Made this today and it was great. I like barley in soup so I added 1/2 cup (not the instant) and used chicken broth instead of water. Omitted marjoram and cabbage and added two cut up potatoes."
"I used regular tomato juice, omitted the marjoram and thyme and put one cup dry pasta in place of the cabbage and the pasta cooked right in the soup. Delicious!"
"My family loved this soup!!! I usually double it to feed 6 of us and its never enough."
"Delicious added some roast chicken."
"I am a noob when it comes to cooking. But I love to cook. This recipe was easy. I don't drink v8 juice so I didn't have any on hand, so I replaced it with a can of campbells tomato basil soup 1 lb. And I didn't add the thyme or majorym which I've never tasted. In the end it tasted really good!! Next time I'll add the majorym to taste it and see if it made a difference. I made garlic bread on the side too to pair up with the soup."
"This is a wonderful soup! Great alone ... or as a soup/sandwich combo! I filled 5 quarts and then pureed the remainder and divided it between the 5 containers for some "thickness"."
"Excellent and easy to make. Great way to get kids to eat their veggies."
"Lots of flavor - will make again."