- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
"Delicious added some roast chicken."
"I am a noob when it comes to cooking. But I love to cook. This recipe was easy. I don't drink v8 juice so I didn't have any on hand, so I replaced it with a can of campbells tomato basil soup 1 lb. And I didn't add the thyme or majorym which I've never tasted. In the end it tasted really good!! Next time I'll add the majorym to taste it and see if it made a difference. I made garlic bread on the side too to pair up with the soup."
"This is a wonderful soup! Great alone ... or as a soup/sandwich combo! I filled 5 quarts and then pureed the remainder and divided it between the 5 containers for some "thickness"."
"Excellent and easy to make. Great way to get kids to eat their veggies."
"Lots of flavor - will make again."