- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen corn (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions, celery and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
"This soup was delicious, I added red potatoes instead of the cabbage, this recipe is a keeper."
"My family loved this soup!!! I usually double it to feed 6 of us and its never enough."
"Delicious added some roast chicken."
"I am a noob when it comes to cooking. But I love to cook. This recipe was easy. I don't drink v8 juice so I didn't have any on hand, so I replaced it with a can of campbells tomato basil soup 1 lb. And I didn't add the thyme or majorym which I've never tasted. In the end it tasted really good!! Next time I'll add the majorym to taste it and see if it made a difference. I made garlic bread on the side too to pair up with the soup."
"Excellent and easy to make. Great way to get kids to eat their veggies."
"Lots of flavor - will make again."