- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen corn (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions, celery and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Soup
"This is a delicious, low calorie soup. I substituted 6 cups of beef broth and added an extra cup of V8 juice to give it more broth. It upped the servings to 18, so it didn't really change the calories per cup. I also added a 1/2 extra of each spice measurement to balance out the extra liquid used (used garlic salt instead of regular salt) and doubled the garlic. I added garlic salt, Lawry's season salt, pepper, worcestshire and balsamic vinegar to taste."
"This soup was delicious, I added red potatoes instead of the cabbage, this recipe is a keeper."
"My family loved this soup!!! I usually double it to feed 6 of us and its never enough."
"Delicious added some roast chicken."
"I am a noob when it comes to cooking. But I love to cook. This recipe was easy. I don't drink v8 juice so I didn't have any on hand, so I replaced it with a can of campbells tomato basil soup 1 lb. And I didn't add the thyme or majorym which I've never tasted. In the end it tasted really good!! Next time I'll add the majorym to taste it and see if it made a difference. I made garlic bread on the side too to pair up with the soup."